Effectively Market Your Direct Sales Business on a BudgetBy
It doesn’t matter how “great” your product is, you have to market it to generate interest and get sales. If no one knows about your business then no one will buy from you. You have to get out of the house and talk to people. In a lot of ways, sales is a numbers game, the more people you talk to, the more people that will buy your product, host a party or join your team.
Marketing is the process of informing people about your product and branding yourself as the product expert. Advertising is NOT marketing…it’s a piece of your marketing plan.
But how do you market your business on a budget?
There are 5 simple things you can do to market your direct sales business effectively and inexpensively. How many of these things have you done?
- Be a product of the product: Use your merchandise!! If you are jewelry consultant, wear your jewelry everywhere you go. Don’t just run to get gas in your sweats without some bling. If you sell health products, make sure you use the supplements and products daily. When people comment on how good you’re looking, it opens the door to sharing what you’re doing.
- Carry a catalog with you at all times: There are several companies that sell catalog purses that have a clear cover on the front so you can slip your catalog in. That way it’s functional and advertising at the same time. Just make sure you use your bag where people can see it, and not shoved in the shopping cart or under the stroller. J
- Attach a small gift to your business card: You only have one chance to make a first impression!! When you’re talking to people about your business, make sure you give them your contact information. You can offer your business card with a small gift attached to really let that potential customer you appreciated their time for talking to you. If your product line doesn’t have samples, you can give other small gifts to make yourself memorable, such as: candy, mints, a travel pack of tissue, individually wrapped wet wipes, etc. The more useful the gift, the better! (BONUS TIP: Ask for the other person’s contact information by offering to inform them about your monthly specials or special promotions. This gives you the opportunity to follow up on the conversation and give them more information.)
- Wear clothes and/or accessories to generate interest about your business: Most direct sales companies offer shirts or pins that you can wear to advertise your business, however, it doesn’t have to be this direct. You can use your clothes or accessories to generate curiosity about your business. For example, I carry a large bag that is embroidered with “Proud WAHM”. You wouldn’t believe how many people ask me what a “WAHM” is! This is a great conversation starter and it gives me a chance to meet someone new, see what we have in common and tell the person how I work from home.
- Be a guest speaker: OK, let’s be honest…public speaking can be scary and intimidating. However, there is no better way to establish your expertise and meet a large group of people who are interested in your product. You can give really good content without coming across as pushy or sales-y by focusing on providing help rather than promoting your product. Many business organizations look for guest speakers to talk to their members about a variety of topics. So you can offer your speaking services “free” for the opportunity to meet people and network with the members before and after the meeting. If the thought of public speaking makes you physically ill or is too scary to consider, look into joining a Toastmasters group to help you through the process. Being an effective public speaker is a skill that can be learned and will be a great asset no matter what career you choose!
These are just 5 budget-friendly and effective marketing strategies to get you started. Which one of these suggestions will you try this week? What else have you done to market your direct sales business to new people that you meet?
Please post your comments and other recommendations below. We can all learn so much from each other’s experiences and questions!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Ivette Muller and her husband of 15 years have two beautiful toddler girls. She has been in the direct sales industry for 15 years with various companies and enjoys helping other moms succeed with their direct sales business. You can learn more about different opportunities to work from home on her blog, Work At Home Mom, Busy and Happy Mom.