Digital marketing is the method of marketing in which we use various electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, tablets, etc. It also entails the usage of software programs, apps and technological platforms such as email, websites, social media, etc. The world of digital marketing is a vast one in which we can easily get lost.
Because of all the advances and changes in technology, it can be hard to keep up on all the latest trends and methods encompassed by digital marketing. Digital marketing strategies include visual marketing, mobile marketing, and online marketing techniques of various kinds so it can all get very confusing and overwhelming.
We not only need to know what to do in the digital marketing world, we have to know what not to do. Below is a list of ten of the don’ts to hopefully help you trek through the massive digital marketing universe.
1. Closing Your Eyes on Mobile Marketing – The number of people who spend more time on the web with mobile devices is growing at a astounding rate. If you own an online business, you can no longer resist mobile devices as part of your digital marketing arsenal. The first step would be to make your website mobile device friendly. Many site builder programs such as WordPress have plugins and automatic features to do that for you. You can also add a line of code to your site that will format your site to the device being used. Be sure to try your website on your mobile devices to find out exactly how people are seeing it. Go through the mobile shopping experience yourself so you have a full understanding of what you need to do.
2. Too Much Social Media – Social media is so much a part of the internet these days it is impossible to expect to build a presence on all of the social sites. You need to pick 2 or 3 of the top sites and start building your brand and setting up your social presence. The most used social sites as of now are Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Pinterest. I get most of my social traffic from Facebook and Pinterest. Next in line is Google+, Tumblr and Instagram. If you can understand your target market you can become a part of the social sites in which they would most likely participate.
3. Information Overload – The digital marketing world is so vast we can easily become lost in the information. I, as well as many others, get caught in the trap of spending too much time gathering information from countless sources on various aspects of building an online business. We need to narrow our focus and learn only what we need to learn to successfully build our business. Find a few good sources for this information and stick with them to learn the ins and outs. Read More→
People love to get free information so using a free tutorial to share your knowledge is a great way to promote yourself and your business. By doing this, you will be establishing yourself as an expert and building your reputation. Then when people need products and/or services, you will be the one they trust and believe.
Divide your tutorial into lessons, one for each day of the tutorial or ecourse. Once you get your lessons written up you want to set them up individually on an autoresponder.
There are many autoresponders available for free and for a fee. Some hosts may have autoresponders available as well. WordPress also has autoresponder plugins. Let’s say you own a home décor and furniture website store. You could set up an ecourse on how to successfully paint a piece of furniture. Your lessons would be something like this:
Lesson 1: Choosing the Right Paint
Lesson 2: Preparing the Piece to Be Painted
Lesson 3: Painting the Piece
Lesson 4: Maintaining the Finished Look
After your lessons are completed, you can set them up to go out each day in a row or separate them by a day or two. It would depend on how many lessons you have and how long you want the tutorial to last.
Separating the information into lessons works better than sending all the info in one mailing because it keeps your name and business fresh in the mind of the potential customer.
When writing your lessons, sprinkle in information about your business and what you offer but try to make it fit into the tutorial so it doesn’t appear too. Offer special discounts for signing up for your ecourse/tutorial. Read More→
Click-Through Rate (CTR) is a way of measuring the success of an ad by how many people click on the featured link contained within the ad. A good click through rate is said to be about 2%, which can be greatly improved.
Buying advertising slots and spreading your ad all over the net won’t do much good if the ad does not get attention. Your ad must motivate people into following the call to action contained within the ad.
Advertising is an art and we need to learn that art to write effective, profit-pulling ads. If you know some of the proven tips on how to write effective ads, it can make all the difference for your business and advertising budget.
The Importance of the Headline: The success of an advertisement lies largely in the headline. The headline needs to capture the reader’s eye and make him want to read the rest of the ad. Research shows that five times more people read just the ad headline as opposed to the entire ad so you need to make it a good one.
Also, be sure to make your headline or some part of the ad bigger and darker than the rest. Put this tip to the test. Open a newspaper and see which ads draw your attention.
Your eyes will go to the ads with the biggest darkest headlines.
The headline should be centered around the product and what it can do for the customer. Do not fill your headline with exaggerated hype. Make it catchy but do not try to mislead or trick the customer into buying. If your ad is not believable, it will be passed over.
For example: If you are selling a pain relieving product, instead of this headline:
Painkill Takes Care of Pain
try this headline: Read More→
Twitter is a micro-blogging site that has grown into one of the most popular social media sites available. To communicate with your followers you send short messages called tweets. These tweets can be used to build your business by building relationships.
With close to a billion active users, Twitter is a powerful force in the online marketing world. But, as with any marketing tool or method you do need to use it properly. Below are twelve things you can do to increase your following and beef-up your business.
1. Interesting and Complete Profile – Unfortunately you are only allowed 140 characters to sum up who you are in your profile so it has to be better than good. If you are tweeting for your business be sure to use your real name. Do not use cutesy or clever pun names. You need to be straightforward and let people know who you are. Use a “casual professional” photo of yourself. You don’t need to look like a stuffed shirt but you don’t want to look like you’re ready for a night on the town either. List your professional skills and/or accomplishments in your bio and ad your link.
2. Timing – There are good times to tweet and bad so do some testing and find the best times to tweet. Finding the best tweet times is not easy but there are tools to help you. Tweriod analyzes your tweets and your followers’ tweets to give you the best times. TweetWhen will let you know the days and times when you get the most retweets.
3. Repeats are Good – A lot of people would say to always post new and interesting information but if you repeat your popular posts periodically, it will help you get more followers. Just search for your name and see which posts got the most replies and retweets. Repost those tweets a few times but not too close together.
4. Follow Autofollow – Some Twitter experts encourage the use of Autofollow. This is an automated service that allows Twitter users to automatically follow people who have followed them. Look for people who follow a lot of people but have the same amount of followers. This could be an indication of Autofollow. If you follow that person, they will automatically follow you back. But be wary of spam followers. They will be following thousands of people but will not have the same amount of followers like a person using Autofollow. Read More→
Although Facebook started out as a place for people to meet and share personal thoughts and opinions, it has gained major status as a way to promote your business. With a billion monthly users, Facebook is the most popular social media site. When used properly for your business, the effect could be quite substantial.
The idea is to get as many people to “Like” your posts and follow your pages as possible. But in doing so, remember the old adage – Quality, Not Quantity! You want your numbers to consist of targeted and responsive followers.
Below are ten mistakes many people make when engaging in Facebook’s vast social network. Some people may not even realize they are floundering so go over each fumble carefully to ensure that you are not part of the losing team.
1. Incomplete profile and Business Information – Not filling in all your information suggests that you have something to hide. Be sure to fill out every aspect of the information forms. Be forthcoming and give out all pertinent information.
2. Wrong Profile Pic – When you are trying to build a business on Facebook you don’t want to use inappropriate pictures for your profile. Don’t use a picture of your pet cat or your family get-togethers. Use a photo of yourself looking straight ahead. Do not wear sunglasses or avert your eyes in any way. Do not overdo on make-up or look like you are going to a party. Always smile and just be yourself. A picture can be worth a thousand words.
3. Too Much Posting – You probably have read that you should post regularly to your page, but by the same token, posting too much can have as many adverse results as not posting enough.
4. Lengthy Posts – Bite-sized posts are much more likely to get read and responded to than long, flowing text. Facebook research shows that if your post has over 100 but fewer than 250 characters, it will have a 60% better chance of getting a response. So try to keep your posts between 100-250 characters for optimum response.
5. Mobile Unfriendly – Mobile marketing is making a big splash in the internet world and you need to be prepared. You need to be aware of the size of your posts and images in that they will fit and be readable on mobile devices. Keep your photos about 600 pixels wide by 400 pixels high and your text should be no more than 100 characters long. Read More→
The holidays are again upon us. We hardly have time to recover from the holiday season and it is here again! Marketing during this time can be challenging but yet very rewarding. Utilizing your social media for your holiday marketing is not only cost effective but extremely important. Social media has evolved and is more relevant to your holiday marketing than ever.
Last year consumers spent billions online shopping for the holidays and your company needs to become a part of that spending. Below are some techniques and strategies to help you elevate your social media marketing for the holiday season and increase your sales for this critical time of year.
1. Holiday Spirit – Use holiday images, icons and other graphics to show your followers, fans and friends that you are in the holiday spirit and ready to give. Make your social media pages and posts “feel” warm and fuzzy. Make your pages a place people want to visit again and again to get that warm feeling the holiday season brings.
2. Pay It Forward – Make it a point to offer a portion of the sales to charity. Give the customer his or her choice to what charity you will donate to from their proceeds. Helping others is a crucial part of the holidays so make sure you are right there doing as much as you can.
3. Holiday Events – Events are an important part of marketing any time of year but can be even more vital during the holidays. Who doesn’t love a great contest or giveaway? Using the holiday theme can make them even more fun and satisfying. Hold a “Funniest Christmas Story” contest or “Most Outrageous Halloween Costume” event. Throw a holiday party and give away prizes, gifts and discounts. Use your imagination and creativity and do something totally unique!
4. Holiday Countdown – Count down the days until each holiday while giving daily prizes, incentives and special offers. Provide a different sale special each day. Give prizes each day. We have all heard of the 12 Days of Christmas marketing campaign but take it a step further with each holiday throughout the season.
5. Holiday Help – Take this time to post content to help get your followers through the stressful holiday season. Offer ideas on how to save money, gift ideas, cooking tips, stress reducers and more. Let your followers know you care and want to help make their holidays a little easier. Read More→
Writing relevant and helpful website and/or blog content is one of the most effective ways to market your online business. Some of the older traditional marketing methods do not produce the same results they used to so more advanced and effective methods need to be utilized.
Writing optimized content is beneficial to your business in many ways. It can provide quality backlinks to your site and thus bringing you more targeted traffic. It can help build your reputation which in turn will build trust and respect among your potential customers. Content marketing can also substantially elevate your search engine rankings.
Below are ten ideas you should utilize in your content writing to help increase the chances of higher search engine rankings.
1. Relevant Content – Be sure to actually write relevant and beneficial content. The more valuable your information, the more results you will see. Search engines can see through transparent attempts to mask a keyword dense sales pitch with false content. Read your article and honestly judge whether the information is actually helpful to others. Is the content information that you would find useful? Does your article explain things effectively? Does the information pertain to the subject at hand?
2. Yes Keywords, but Watch the Density – Have you ever read an article that was so loaded with keywords that it sounded ridiculously redundant? Keywords are important but just sprinkle them in so they sound natural. The first paragraph or two is the best place to disperse your keywords. After that, you want to use other less repetitive words so as not to overstuff your content.
3. Quality Not Quantity – You, of course, want to get your content read by as many people as possible but submitting to every article directory you can find is not the effective way. Find a few quality article directories and blogs to which you can submit your content. By mass submitting you can even run the risk of getting penalized for too many links too quickly. Choose a smaller amount of relevant power sites to submit to and your content and links will be given more importance which will, in turn, increase the chances of higher rankings. Read More→
Building an online business is certainly not easy, especially when you are on a very limited budget. It has been my experience that numerous entrepreneurs and home-based business owners overlook some very effective and free advertising opportunities.
Some examples of these result producing techniques are:
1. Welcome Letter for Subscribers – I subscribe to tons of groups and ezines and am sometimes disappointed when I get a default welcome letter. Welcoming a subscriber or group member is one of the most potentially effective tactics for your business. Personalize the welcome by introducing yourself and letting the person know about your website and what you offer and how that will benefit them. This is a crucial moment in that you can start connecting and forming that relationship with your reader before they even get your ezine or mailing.
* Inform them of any exclusive specials you have.
* Tell them your advertising rates and add a testimonial or two.
* Invite them to your site to utilize the free resources.
* Let them know your email and that they can contact you anytime with questions, comments, etc.
* Use some of the space for add swapping with other publishers.
* Highlight any of your best products or affiliate products you may be marketing.
2. Goodbye Letter – When you lose a reader or subscriber, you have one last chance to get them to purchase a product or service from you. Utilize it to the fullest. Thank them for being a subscriber and encourage them to re-sub at any time. Be sure to ask them why they have left so you are able to make any possible improvements. Read More→
As many of us have probably experienced, social media marketing can be a very powerful tool in building our business. Although some say the popularity of Facebook is declining, it is still one of the most popular social media sites and, if used effectively, can do a lot for your business.
One beneficial feature of Facebook you can utilize to build your business is the ability to create your own Facebook networking group.
To create your own group simply go to your homepage and look to the left for the Groups section. Then click the Create Group button and a window will appear for you to name your group, add members and choose your privacy settings. Once you have done that, click Create.
Once your group is created, you will be taken to your group. To set everything up, click the little flower icon at the top right and then Edit Group Settings. There you will put in your group description, tags, group email, images, etc. And you’re done! So now what?
What do you do once you have your group? Below are some tips to help you manage your group effectively.
1. Naming Your Group – The name of your group is very important so be sure to spend some time on this decision. Use relevant keywords and be sure to make it clear what the group is about. For example: if you are starting a group for home business owners to learn how to build their business do not call the group something like Kathy’s Home Group or Networking with Kathy. Give it a targeted name with power such as Home Business Success Group or Network of Home Business Owners.
2. Fill All Fields Correctly – You do not want your group to appear as if you just threw it together in a few minutes. Be sure to fill out everything in the group’s profile and be sure not to have any grammatical or spelling errors. Read More→