Since 2004 social media has been booming and there is no indication of any lapse in its strength. If for some reason you are not yet taking advantage of the intense growth and popularity of social media for your business, now is the time to get started.
Over 72 million people use Pinterest and many of them can become your customers. Businesses make money from Pinterest users and you can too. But learning and building an effective social media network takes time and a lot of work. As much as you should learn what to do, you need to learn what NOT to do. Below are 10 mistakes you might be making on Pinterest.
1. Dead or Broken Links – Be sure to check all of your posts to make sure the links are working and actually lead to the intended information. Sending your followers to dead or non-existent pages is a good way to lose them.
2. Ineffective Images – Images are everything on Pinterest. Images without human faces get liked and repined much more than images with faces. You also want to have multiple colors in your images. Images with red, orange and brown get repined many more times than blue. You do not want a lot of background or whitespace in your image. The less background, the more repins. Less than 30% will get the most repins. Smooth texture gets repinned much more often than a rough texture. Medium lightness does the best as opposed to very light or very dark images. Details matter and paying attention to your image details could make all the difference. Read More→
Owning an online business entails more than just putting up a pretty website. Besides social media, marketing and promoting, you need to learn the inner structure of your website and how well it is accomplishing its purpose. This means you need to know the details of what people do when they visit your site, how long they stay and which pages interest them the most.
The more you know about what people do when they visit your site, the more you can specify and analyze the details of your site and optimize its performance. Google Analytics provides the means to attaining this very important goal.
Listed below are some of the features provided by Google Analytics and the reasons you should be utilizing them.
1. It’s Free – We have all heard the saying, “You don’t get anything for nothing”. In this case, that is not true. Google Analytics provides you with critical information, numbers and stats needed for you to maximize your website’s performance.
2. Customizable – With GA you can customize the information for your reports. Using an easy drag n drop, you can set up the reports how you want to receive them for easier analyzing. Read More→
Spring is in the air! With it comes a feeling of revival and revitalization. Wouldn’t it be great if we could breathe new life into our websites so people could get that same sense of renewal when they visit? Spring is a time of high emotion and high energy. Bringing some of that feeling of rediscovery to your website could pump up your conversion rate.
Below are some ideas you can utilize to help your site come alive and give people a sense of rejuvenation and vitality.
1. Remove Dead Links – Go through your website and be sure you do not have broken or dead links. Not only does this deter your visitors but the search engines as well. You can find a quick and easy free service at brokenlinkcheck.
2. Resuscitate Old Content – Look over your older posts and content and see how you can add new info, images or resources to it to bring it back to life. Things are always changing so change with them and revitalize your content.
3. Add Visuals – One of the best ways to bring a website alive is by adding videos, striking images, memes and other visual concepts. Post a new video each week telling about your products, services or specials. Provide helpful tips and ideas that people can utilize. Make people want to come back each week to rediscover your website. Read More→
The basically simple act of posting on your blog or other blogs can do powerful things for your business. But your action might not be so effective if you don’t utilize certain ideas. There are many things to consider when writing content but the tips below will give you a good start to getting the maximum response from your post.
1. Visual Content – Statistics say that if your post contains visual content, it will grab 94% more visits and engagement than those without. That is reason enough to start including videos and other visual content in your posts. The brain is automatically drawn more to images than to text.
2. Short Paragraphs – The amount of videos and other visuals used in marketing today is one of the reasons you need to keep your paragraphs short. You need plenty of white space to avoid long drawn out paragraphs. Large blocks of text will not draw much attention to your post.
3. Keywords – One of the most responsive ways to use keywords is adding them to your post title. Do not go crazy with the keywords. Use just a couple of keyword phrases throughout your post without sacrificing readability. Use the phrases in the very beginning, a couple of times throughout and then again at the end. Be sure to read up on keyword stuffing to prevent being penalized.
4. Subscription Forms Available – Having a subscription form available after every post will increase the chances of a person taking that action and subscribing to your list. Once you capture that person’s email, the chances of retaining them as a customer is greatly increased. Read More→
Digital marketing is the method of marketing in which we use various electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, tablets, etc. It also entails the usage of software programs, apps and technological platforms such as email, websites, social media, etc. The world of digital marketing is a vast one in which we can easily get lost.
Because of all the advances and changes in technology, it can be hard to keep up on all the latest trends and methods encompassed by digital marketing. Digital marketing strategies include visual marketing, mobile marketing, and online marketing techniques of various kinds so it can all get very confusing and overwhelming.
We not only need to know what to do in the digital marketing world, we have to know what not to do. Below is a list of ten of the don’ts to hopefully help you trek through the massive digital marketing universe.
1. Closing Your Eyes on Mobile Marketing – The number of people who spend more time on the web with mobile devices is growing at a astounding rate. If you own an online business, you can no longer resist mobile devices as part of your digital marketing arsenal. The first step would be to make your website mobile device friendly. Many site builder programs such as WordPress have plugins and automatic features to do that for you. You can also add a line of code to your site that will format your site to the device being used. Be sure to try your website on your mobile devices to find out exactly how people are seeing it. Go through the mobile shopping experience yourself so you have a full understanding of what you need to do.
2. Too Much Social Media – Social media is so much a part of the internet these days it is impossible to expect to build a presence on all of the social sites. You need to pick 2 or 3 of the top sites and start building your brand and setting up your social presence. The most used social sites as of now are Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Pinterest. I get most of my social traffic from Facebook and Pinterest. Next in line is Google+, Tumblr and Instagram. If you can understand your target market you can become a part of the social sites in which they would most likely participate.
3. Information Overload – The digital marketing world is so vast we can easily become lost in the information. I, as well as many others, get caught in the trap of spending too much time gathering information from countless sources on various aspects of building an online business. We need to narrow our focus and learn only what we need to learn to successfully build our business. Find a few good sources for this information and stick with them to learn the ins and outs. Read More→
People love to get free information so using a free tutorial to share your knowledge is a great way to promote yourself and your business. By doing this, you will be establishing yourself as an expert and building your reputation. Then when people need products and/or services, you will be the one they trust and believe.
Divide your tutorial into lessons, one for each day of the tutorial or ecourse. Once you get your lessons written up you want to set them up individually on an autoresponder.
There are many autoresponders available for free and for a fee. Some hosts may have autoresponders available as well. WordPress also has autoresponder plugins. Let’s say you own a home décor and furniture website store. You could set up an ecourse on how to successfully paint a piece of furniture. Your lessons would be something like this:
Lesson 1: Choosing the Right Paint
Lesson 2: Preparing the Piece to Be Painted
Lesson 3: Painting the Piece
Lesson 4: Maintaining the Finished Look
After your lessons are completed, you can set them up to go out each day in a row or separate them by a day or two. It would depend on how many lessons you have and how long you want the tutorial to last.
Separating the information into lessons works better than sending all the info in one mailing because it keeps your name and business fresh in the mind of the potential customer.
When writing your lessons, sprinkle in information about your business and what you offer but try to make it fit into the tutorial so it doesn’t appear too. Offer special discounts for signing up for your ecourse/tutorial. Read More→
Click-Through Rate (CTR) is a way of measuring the success of an ad by how many people click on the featured link contained within the ad. A good click through rate is said to be about 2%, which can be greatly improved.
Buying advertising slots and spreading your ad all over the net won’t do much good if the ad does not get attention. Your ad must motivate people into following the call to action contained within the ad.
Advertising is an art and we need to learn that art to write effective, profit-pulling ads. If you know some of the proven tips on how to write effective ads, it can make all the difference for your business and advertising budget.
The Importance of the Headline: The success of an advertisement lies largely in the headline. The headline needs to capture the reader’s eye and make him want to read the rest of the ad. Research shows that five times more people read just the ad headline as opposed to the entire ad so you need to make it a good one.
Also, be sure to make your headline or some part of the ad bigger and darker than the rest. Put this tip to the test. Open a newspaper and see which ads draw your attention.
Your eyes will go to the ads with the biggest darkest headlines.
The headline should be centered around the product and what it can do for the customer. Do not fill your headline with exaggerated hype. Make it catchy but do not try to mislead or trick the customer into buying. If your ad is not believable, it will be passed over.
For example: If you are selling a pain relieving product, instead of this headline:
Painkill Takes Care of Pain
try this headline: Read More→
Twitter is a micro-blogging site that has grown into one of the most popular social media sites available. To communicate with your followers you send short messages called tweets. These tweets can be used to build your business by building relationships.
With close to a billion active users, Twitter is a powerful force in the online marketing world. But, as with any marketing tool or method you do need to use it properly. Below are twelve things you can do to increase your following and beef-up your business.
1. Interesting and Complete Profile – Unfortunately you are only allowed 140 characters to sum up who you are in your profile so it has to be better than good. If you are tweeting for your business be sure to use your real name. Do not use cutesy or clever pun names. You need to be straightforward and let people know who you are. Use a “casual professional” photo of yourself. You don’t need to look like a stuffed shirt but you don’t want to look like you’re ready for a night on the town either. List your professional skills and/or accomplishments in your bio and ad your link.
2. Timing – There are good times to tweet and bad so do some testing and find the best times to tweet. Finding the best tweet times is not easy but there are tools to help you. Tweriod analyzes your tweets and your followers’ tweets to give you the best times. TweetWhen will let you know the days and times when you get the most retweets.
3. Repeats are Good – A lot of people would say to always post new and interesting information but if you repeat your popular posts periodically, it will help you get more followers. Just search for your name and see which posts got the most replies and retweets. Repost those tweets a few times but not too close together.
4. Follow Autofollow – Some Twitter experts encourage the use of Autofollow. This is an automated service that allows Twitter users to automatically follow people who have followed them. Look for people who follow a lot of people but have the same amount of followers. This could be an indication of Autofollow. If you follow that person, they will automatically follow you back. But be wary of spam followers. They will be following thousands of people but will not have the same amount of followers like a person using Autofollow. Read More→